15.9.08

Blog, blog, blog

I hardly have time for email, let along sharing my personal world with you, my friends. I'm into my eighth week of school and i'm still trying to adjust to everything i have going on right now. Just a few things to keep ya'll up-to-date!

I auditioned for the Choral Society of Durham last week and made it! I get to sing with Mike again for the first time in about three years. It's really exciting that now I don't have to sit in the audience alone. We'll be spread out on risers, but sweating in the lights of Duke Chapel, together. Isn't that what's important.

I have fifty things going on right now between home and school and it's been getting to me lately. I'm feeling a little miserable and unsupported at school. I don't see my friends often and I have to deal with the folks who anger me most more than I would like. I know this is just a changing moment, but man it's awful to be in the middle of it. I will never get away from people I can't get along with, this I am fully aware of, but I have never been so disrespected for being young, being white, and for just being the "art teacher". Luckily I love my kids!

Speaking of my kids, I have begun posting their artwork on this awesome site called Artsonia.com. Please take a look and search for Haw River. These are the things I'm teaching. I'm hoping for this to be a way to get more parents involved in their kids artwork and to see the necessity of having more of this stuff at home. Great creations. Let me know what you think!

Did I mention I'm finally sick from the little ones. It's been a few days already and I can tell I'm getting better but wow, not a fan of the aches and cough. Not at all!

One refreshing thing in my life right now, other than my husband, is yoga. I'm taking some yoga and pilates classes right now and I feel wonderful. I've lost some weight from my stressful spring and summer and am so limber now. It's wonderful for my long days at school and now for the choir since I'm singing for the first time in a year.

Well, just a few things. Never underestimate the power of venting! Love you guys and MISS you very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art world has always, and probably WILL always, be disrespected. It's a sad fact, but it's true. That's no reason to feel down, though. I get waves and waves of disrespect. "Oh, you're an art major? Psh, I wish I could draw all day, that would be easy!" And even more in Photography, WITHIN the arts. Photography is one of the most disrespected forms of art. But all of this just makes me want to fight harder to display some relevancy to people. And of course, at the end of the day, it's all whether you enjoy it.

But just remember that there will be (at least) that one student who will remember Mrs. Lyle when they're in college, making art. I remember my great art teachers nearly every day, and you will have that same effect on people. :)

P.S. - See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hmph. I just typed a long response and it erased it. ANYway.

Art has always been disrespected, and probably will always be. It's sad, but true. That doesn't mean we in the art world should be discouraged, though. I get waves and waves of disrespect all the time. "Oh, you're an art major? Psh, I wish I could draw all day, that would be so easy!" Especially with Photography - within the arts, that is arguably the most disrespected. But, to me, that disrespect just fuels my fire and makes me fight harder for relevancy. And of course, at the end of the day it's all about the fact that you enjoy it.

Just remember, that there will be (at least) that one student who will remember Mrs. Lyle when they're making art in college. I remember my great art teachers (and my not-so-great elementary art teacher) nearly every day. Elementary is so important too, to plant that seed. So don't forget that what you do will be remembered by someone, and of course, you provide a lot of great things in the immediate future for these kids. You may not get the respect you deserve, but that doesn't mean what you're doing isn't completely relevant and important. You are doing amazingly well, because you CARE. So many teachers don't, anymore. So keep it up. :)